View Single Post

Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

no sooner said than done! So I've sanded the Support plate between two nail files to a thickness of about 0,3 mm, and I have to say that I liked it better than before.

Now, the bow had to be glued as exactly as possible between the Support Brackets, but unfortunately I had to remove the stencil, which had previously fixed the position of the bow.

The crunchpoint here, however, is that the bow must be aligned with the Feedline,

and the Umbilical Plate should lie flush against the opening of the Orbiter Door.

To accomplish this, I drilled the end of the Feedline in the middle and inserted a piece of Nickel silver wire as Centering aid.

In this way I succeeded, first to glue the Support plate at the Crossbeam and then the Feedline-bow with the Support brackets, which will make the further work on the parts of the Cable Tray-TPS cladding much easier, since nothing can slip anymore.

Then I've bent an Evergreen Strip (0,4 mm x 0,5 mm) under hot air around a rod (Ø 3 mm) and glued one ring of it in front of the Support plate.

Then I've scratched the so called Pivoting Support missing at Airfix and glued it just behind the Intertank.

But this is only one half of the Feedline Support, as one can see in this image, as there is still a clamping ring over it,

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. I (Lockheed Martin)

which should be much narrower than at Airfix existing ring, as the comparison with the original photo shows, so I would have to modify these rings also a bit.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

Then there are also missing the wider Rings in front of the supports, which I'll scratch too.
So all in all a lot of odds and ends, which is still waiting for me.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)