View Single Post

Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hi everybody,

so then to bending and installation of the end piece of the GO2 Press. Line.

First of all, it is necessary to know the preliminary end point of this gas line in order to be able to start bending, but this time it is relatively easy, since behind the last Ice Frost Ramp from the Newware Kit (R25) there are only two bends in the pipe.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

That's why I've used again my often shown ingenious Reference drawing from the recommendable ET Bible (System Definition Handbook SLWT - Lockheed Martin), from which one can take the exact location of the GO2 Press. Line (light blue) and of the GH[sub]2[/sub] Press. Line (red) direct next to the LO2 Feedline (dark blue).

Source: System Definition Handbook SLWT, Vol. II (Lockheed Martin)

And these three angles I've drawn into a 1:144 drawing of the ET cross section, and layed one of the 14 following Ramps (R23), in which both Press. Lines run up to the Intertank.

In this image, in front of it lays the last Ramp (R25), whose position next to the feedline is crucial for bending the GO2 Press. Line.

In order to determine their position as accurately as possible and to be able to transfer to the ET circumference, I have marked corresponding markings for all three lines on a Masking tape (1 mm).

This tape I've glued onto the ET and then threaded a short piece of the Press. Line (Nickel silver Ø 0,4 mm) through the Umbilical plate and the Bracket , as well as provisionally layed a longer piece of the line onto the tank.

In order to be able to determine the distances of the lines from each other as well as from the last ramp as exactly as possible, I have threaded the Ramp R25, as well as four Ramps R23 to the front, and have fixed the line in this position with tape.

Afterwards the distance of both lines is approx. 2 mm, which agrees well with the distance determined from photos,

with which I could actually bend the short piece of the line.

But to relax the eyes stressed out by the macro shots is here a look from the normal viewer's perspective.

And since I was curious, I immediately made a first test-bending with a Copper dummy (Ø 0,4 mm), and as one can see here, the result looks already quite useful.

Similarly, I'll now next bend the same line piece of Nickel silver (Ø 0,4 mm) and then also attach the three Fittings made of insulating tube, wherewith then the LO2 Umbilical would have been finished.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)