View Single Post

Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/50 Lloyd 40.16

I've been primarily focused on earth bound subjects for quite some time now, so I thought it was about time I turned my eyes skyward. I'm in the middle of Rickenbacker's book "Fighting the Flying Circus" at the moment, so perhaps that has inspired me. I'm still intimidated by all that rigging on most WWI birds, so I decided to take a crack at the Lloyd 40.16 prototype kit designed by our own Alcides (who has been largely absent for the past couple of years. I hope all is well with him), which has no rigging except for the control surfaces.

Lloyd built some really ungainly looking experimental aircraft for the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Lloyd 40.05, 40.08, 40.15, 40.16). The 40.16 was designed to improve forward visibility, which was always a problem with the front engined, tail draggers of the time. The fuselage was skinned with plywood veneer, as (apparently) was the center section of the wings - see 'Austro Hungarian Army Aircraft of WWI" by Peter Grosz. Alcides' model features all fabric wings, so I had to do a bit of Photoshop work.

I'm going to do a build thread on this one, and first up is the cockpit. I drew in some internal stringers, and added a couple of pedals to the foot tiller. I textured the seat in wicker, and made up some lap belts. I'm not sure if any of this is accurate, but it adds interest and, if inaccurate, will mostly be hidden anyway. The triangular windows that you see are for pilot forward visibility. The instrument panel will be added later in the build.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydcockpita.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydcockpitb.jpg