View Single Post

Old 11-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Work on the Lloyd continues. After scoring and cutting out the fuselage, I glued the cockpit to one side, and when that was dry, folded over and affixed the other side. Then I folded down the cowl/radiator, followed by the portion of the fuselage immediately in front of the pilot. Everything lined up very well. To add a bit of dimension, I layered the front frame of the cowl. So far so good, but that was about to change.

I doubled the vertical stabilizer former, and glued the sides of the fuselage to it at the extreme rear. In hindsight, it would have been best to attach the cockpit only on one side. Despite being extremely careful, I did wind up with a very slight twist and banana caused by misplacement of the cockpit. If it was only fixed on one side, the fuselage would have been able to flex and avoid this pitfall. Lesson learned.

Then I cut out and dry fitted the remaining piece of the upper fuselage. In order to line up the plywood panel lines on the top and bottom, this piece must be slid backwards about a mm, leaving gaps at the front and rear of the cockpit opening. I'm going to have to get creative with the padded coaming around the cockpit. I still have to glue on the bottom piece of the fuselage which runs from stem to stern. If I can't manage this because of the banana, I'll have start all over again.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloyda.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydb.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydc.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydd.jpg