View Single Post

Old 11-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This is still a very interesting discussion and I thought I would post again.
------
I can't comment on any of these printers you are referring to, so please excuse my slightly off topic post.
I first wanted to comment on Amazon reviews and how I look at them.

I am a frequent amazon buyer, and I place reviews for just about everything I purchase.
I also signed up to answer questions from buyers about the products I have reviewed.

You'll find that many products receive only a small number of feedback reviews, a percentage of the actual number of sales.
Most people who buy something and are happy with it, move on and don't bother with online reviews.
I think the number of people who wish to be "product testers and reviewers" is small.
And thats okay.

But you hope that the number of reviews received will represent a good cross section of positive and negative reviews.
Unfortunately, unhappy customers are motivated to complain and report their experiences more than satisifed customers.
So the number of negative reviews is often a higher percentage cross section and can skew the results.

Of 1000 satisfied customers, 100 might decide to review the product. (10%)
Of 20 unsatisfied customers, 15 are motivated enough to post a negative review. (75%!)
But in reality the product itself actually has a 98% positive impact if you were to see all the numbers.

So I will often look at a single negative review and think "there are a dozen positive reviews" to balance this.

Every product will have lemons and there will inevitably be some unhappy customers.
What I look for in negative reviews is repetitive comments...repeated complaints.
If all negative reviews are about different things, it isn't a good description of the products failings.
And like altomentis suggests, these customers may have contributed to the product failure by incorrect usage or operation.

--------
Since you have already ordered a Printer, my suggestions will have no benefit to you altomentis, but for anyone else who cares....

I'll be honest, the idea of an external tank has a number of drawbacks, and I have chosen not to ever consider it.
If the printer you wish/need to use requires a much larger supply of expensive ink, then I guess its an important consideration.

Personally, I don't print anything larger than Letter size sheets, so I've gotten away with desktop printers and after-market inks.
As far as Ink is concerned, I deal with refilled cartridges to save money
...and I just shopped around on eBay and Amazon for that.
I tried a few vendors...and when I found one that provided good quality ink, I bought larger supplies of cartridges.

My current Brother printer is the best desktop printer I have owned so far...print quality and maintenance.
I've owned many HP printers, and an Epson all-in-one, and this Brother.

It costs me roughly a $1 per Ink cartridge...it uses four cartridges.
I print only on the highest quality settings and I'm not frugal with my printing.
..and I still get a never ending print supply from each cartridge it seems!
I'm actually worried about the age of some of my unused Ink stock.

The printer cost $50 originally from Staples and I will be replacing it with another Brother printer when it comes time.
There are regular sales and discounts on the Brother website, so I will be shopping there first.