View Single Post

Old 11-28-2019, 05:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

from the Britmodeller Forum the question came up, if I forgot the Diagonal Cross Strut which of course is not the case. But for the sake of simplicity, I had not implemented it up to now, but I made up for it right away.

And now to the long and narrow cover on the Crossbeam, for which I first determined the dimensions from this photo of the ET-37 (STS-37).

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

As one can see, this is only a narrow thin strip, which increases slightly obliquely on both sides to the outside, which is not so easy to realize in the range of less than 1 mm in height.

That's why I considered to cut a 0,8 mm wide strip (above) from a thin Evergreen Sheet (0,13 mm) and then to glue it together with the two slants, made from an Evergreen Strip (0,4 mm x 0,75 mm).

Since I've used again MEK, I also had to underlay Teflon foil, so that nothing could glue on. Then I've put on the laboriously sanded slants and carefully fixed with the cutter, and then lightly brushed with MEK from both sides, which is sufficient for the gluing.

And so the cover was already as good as finished, only the transitions of the slants and at the ends, I have the strip a little bit smoothened.

Afterwards, I've glued this strip similarly with MEK onto the Crossbeam, whereby I've glued step by step from one side to the other side.

And as I think, the cover comes out pretty well and it's nothing to sneeze at.

With this now also this last detail would done.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)