View Single Post

Old 12-01-2019, 06:15 PM

Location: Lived with my wife aboard a small sailboat since 1991
Total Downloaded: 6.36 MB
Laminating card and aluminum foil

My initial post a few days ago on “ another approach.” is exactly that. A different way of using paper to make a scale model. The photos of my harbour ferries may look a bit more like plastic than paper, but they are ink jet printed, acrylic painted and varnished paper, from stem to stern. Not a purist, I use wire, jewelry findings, beads and my most essential ingredient, regular aluminum foil to achieve what I want, a model as durable as artwork. Laminating the foil and paper produces a material similar to tin, with the huge advantage of print, paint and acrylic compatibility and best of all, white glue adhesion. It is impervious to moisture, strong, inexpensive and easy to make. The pictures show the process. Do both sides of the foil with the Weldbond and toilet paper, keep the roller wet so the tissue does not stick to it, press hard as you roll and allow the laminate to cure for at least a week, the longer the better. The treated foil can then be used to back paper card. Thicker card works best, my choice was Daler Cover Paper. Use for larger areas only, as delamination can occur if cut too small for detail parts, or bent sharply. Read the photo sequence top/bottom top/ bottom left to right
Attached Thumbnails
Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc088982.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc089002.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc089022.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-dsc089032.jpg   Laminating card and aluminum foil-x10c.jpg  

Last edited by smallcraftmaster; 12-01-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling mistake and picture sequence