View Single Post

Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hot Rodding Paper Airplanes Again!

Already working on design phase II.

Estimate can loose 10gms fairly easy.

Then realized a quick weight reduction; shrink the fuselage and tailfeathers while leaving the wings the same size.

Already changing airfoil from 9% symmetrical to 12%. Slow it down and get more lift, the way it is now, if hand launched it would descend fairly quickly to the ground under power-wants to go fast!

Looking at using copy paper in certain places to reduce weight. Thinner balsa for the tube mounts. Will test new ideas for rolling the tube, rocket body tube -as mentioned, copy paper vs cardstock to see weight savings possible. I do have several different sizes of carbon fiber tubing that might work.

Ordering a 2ft wide roll of tracing paper for my kites, might come in handy for this as well. A balsa frame covered in tracing paper.....

Bought a competition rubber band 2mm prop shaft, bearing, spring, all kinds of machined stuff for $9.50 from FAI. I'll just keep adding power till something fails....

My shipment from FAI Free Flight just arrived, now have rubber bands, bearings and props to work with. As Don points out with his links, there are some serious competitions going on! Notice that there was a mention of a bearing in the paragraph above? Yep, real ball bearings in it. But really big shaft and weight issue.

Goal is to see this fly from a ground takeoff. I have been known to use "jet" power on some of my early models!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-28-2020 at 03:13 AM.