View Single Post

Old 02-10-2020, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Canopy, pylons and center fuel tank

The next logical step is to prepare the canopy. I have only done this once before, when building Yoav's Mirage in 2016. The vacuum box I built proved its value but has been sitting idle ever since.
The F-16 canopy is a challenge compared to the one of the Mirage. Based on the template I built the canopy and used putty, wall filler and sandpaper to obtain a good round shape . Finally a few layers of spray paint to get a smooth surface, which also helps to check if the shape is well-rounded. So far so good. I didn't use filler to reinforce the inside of the mould as the shell seemed very strong.

Unfortunately, during the vacuuming process, the canopy sort of collapsed, which is a compliment to my vacuum cleaner. It really sucks hard . But bad news for the canopy and a new one is being prepared.

Herewith a few pictures of the process before things went wrong. I'm using a table grill to heat up the overhead sheet, wedged in the wooden frame.

Anyway, to keep the momentum going, I prepared the pylons and the center drop tank instead.

To be continued...., hopefully with good news regarding the vacuuming process.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1261.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1262.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1417.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1418.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1426.jpg  

Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1427.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1428.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1429.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1430.jpg