View Single Post

Old 02-22-2020, 08:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Don,

Yes, all the above from the tried and true. Know what works, trying to find out if there are areas to "cheat" at.

The fuselage sides are just that, no round or aerodynamic shapes added.

Not sure if a rudder will overcome this effect or not, so why not make smaller and find out? Total experiment...Rudder itself will be the "tab" to bend. Something you can't do with tissue and balsa, would need hinges.

Like you mention, this is a learning experience. All of my other models, the cardstock could carry the flight loads. This is not the case with rubber power.

The main load is carried by the internal rolled paper tube. The flight loads are now transmitted through the balsa wood box for the wing spar.

Tried using paper to reduce weight since the loads are carried by other than paper. That didn't work so well.

Now using the lightest weight cardstock I have available, 90# Index, to maintain the fuselage shape without internal bracing like was needed for the paper version.

You can see in the photos, that on the left side of fuselage, it is bowed in at the star and bar. Heavier cardstock would not do this, but the weight penalty is too much. This compromise may stop the model from flying, or need big trim to correct...

Folded paper airplanes are very forgiving in their design. Hopefully this very useful paper property will help overcome the weight issue when using paper as a design medium.

Will this work, yes, but not very effectively. (hoping that is for the yes part) Learning some valuable lessons for future builds. What flying they do will be short once power is off, lots of drag and weight.

My joy will be in watching them take-off if they can. To me that means they are actually capable of flight.

It has been fun to design and build these, having fun even if they don't fly. Got the bug to build a small balsa and tissue version have in storage.

Thank you for watching, and commenting: sounds like you're an experienced hand at building free-flight models! Please keep the comments heading this way.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 02-22-2020 at 08:45 PM.