View Single Post

Old 03-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.08 MB
Started painting using the kit supplied paints. The interior is almost completely hidden, so I used that as my test area, and found I needed to improve my technique.

Shipyard's system is to paint a thinned down base coat with a cream color first. I found it best to let this dry at least 24 hours for the best results before painting this over with the wood color. Even then, it's important to use a thinned down wood color mixture (the instructions give you a formula), and to brush it on quickly, avoiding re-brushing as much as possible.

The model shown in the instructions show all the nail heads painted. I wasn't sure that I wanted to paint all the nail heads, but it turned out to be not all that difficult, and it went fairly quickly. I just had to proceed carefully with a very, very tiny brush, dabbing the paint into place.

Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0325.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0433.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0436.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0457.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0463.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0474.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0475.jpg Bremen Cog - 1/72 scale Shipyard kit-img_0476.jpg

These boxed, laser-cut kits from Shipyard are interesting in that they provide the individual planks, pre-shaped, and it shows you how complex the real planks have to be in order to shape the complex curves of the ship's hull. As a builder of wooden ship models as well, it's an interesting lesson. But, I'm happy not to have to be shaping these pieces myself!

Blog: shipmodeler.wordpress.com