View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,
and thus to my test bores in order to test whether the minimum depth of approx. 5 - 10 mm could be achieved by hand with an appropriate caution and care.

Since my Dremel is already nearly 10 years old, I wanted to test it once again in the associated drill stand, although I had doubts whether the lowest speed of 10.000 rpm already would be overkill and too risky.

That's why I started by doing some manual tests true to the motto Better safe than sorry!. For this I clamped a Resin strip in my Mini vice and started turning the Dremel-chuck with a drill Ø 1,3 mm in the Dremel-stand with the left hand , while at the same time I've soulfully forced down the lifting rod with my right hand, which was not so easy.

While the orthogonality of the bore in longitudinal direction was acceptable,

it left something to be desired in the transverse direction,

which is why I was not completely convinced of this hand-drilling variant.

Therefore, in a second series of tests with the Dremel in the drill stand I have drilled at the lowest speed (10.000 rpm) in a Chipboard with Ø 1,3 mm,

what went smoothly.

Then I've drilled with Ø 1,4 mm and then took a look at the orthogonality of the bore in the longitudinal and transverse directions, which looked surprisingly good at least over the minimum length.

Then I've drilled with the diameter of the SRB support rod (Ø 1,5 mm) and tested again in both directions, whereby the orthogonality was still unchanged good.

And the support rod also fit well into the bore, which was about 15 mm deep, which should be sufficient for the stable fixation of the boosters in my opinion, whereby I still could then drill a bit deeper with a Mini hand drill.

So I could now venture on the bore of the two SRB Forward Skirts from the Newware Kit, whereby in addition to a stable support in a corresponding holder, especially the skirts have to be precisely aligned so that their bores are in line with the support rod.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)