View Single Post

Old 03-26-2020, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 194.23 MB
Apollo CM Crew Hatch

I've found myself with a lot of free-time now because of everything going on with COVID-19, so I was hoping to finally do a build of Ken West's Apollo Command Module. However, it seems like ecardmodels doesn't have it available right now on their (new?) site, so I figure I'll do the next best thing: design my own 😆! I'm definitely not interested in making a whole Command Module from the ground up, but I've been really inspired to make a detailed version of the Side Crew Hatch ever since seeing Project Egress last year.

The great thing about Project Egress is that the people behind it released CAD and 3D models and basic technical drawings for all the parts into the public domain, which means that anyone with some manufacturing ability (even just a 3D printer) can make their own accurate hatch replica.

Ideally, I'd be able to do that as a scale paper model, maybe at 1/4, which gives a model about 10" (25cm) wide. Obviously I can't physically model every screw, but I'd like to have the major mechanical movements work. I'm starting with all of the moving parts to get a sense of how much mechanical accuracy I can keep at 1/4, or if I have to move up to 1/3 or 1/2.

Hopefully I'll have more to show soon!