View Single Post

Old 05-03-2020, 07:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 194.23 MB
Next up is a test build of one of the 15* latches around the perimeter of the hatch that actually lock it into place into hull of the command module.

Quote:
The hatch normally is operated by a handle which the crewman pumps back and forth. The handle drives a ratchet mechanism which opens or closes the 12* latches around the periphery of the hatch. The latches are so designed that pressure exerted against the hatch serves only to increase the locking pressure of the latches. If the latch gear mechanism should fail, it can be disconnected and the latches opened or closed manually.

A series of linkages connect the gearbox and all of the hatches together in a sort of branching chain. There are a few different variations of latch, for left-handed, right-handed, and multi-connections, depending on how the linkages connect, but the latches are otherwise the same.

Unfortunately, 1/4 scale is definitely too small for this, so this is at 1/2 scale. I think it could definitely be smaller if you were willing to accept some simplification, but I wasn't happy with how that turned out with the hinges so I'm not going to do that here. As is, the paper sadists out there could probably do it at 1/3 scale, but I'm going to be continuing on at 1/2.

* I'm not sure why some NASA documents refer to only 12 latches, since the final design definitely has 15.