View Single Post

Old 05-05-2020, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 498.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikischutt View Post
This should be fun to build.

Nice work!
I am aiming for a length of about 2.5-3ft when done. I'm happy with the geometry of the objects on the screen so far, but they need more detail to keep them from being boring.

I've spent the last bit trying to figure out how to easily/efficient create and apply decals to existing textures. I found a lot of paths in that regard that DON'T work, but claim to do so. The best so far, for making paper models, seems to be building the equivalent of a decal sheet that you'd have with a plastic model, creating another uv map on a "detailed" version of the object, then baking all the detail onto a simpler version of the object with less complex geometry... so it can still be constructed.

^^^^ That last paragraph explains a good 6wks of effort and research. At least for my needs, KitOps, DecalMachine, SlapIt, and several other add ons for Blender... none of them work (as in they error out when you try to do anything with them) or they don't provide the functionality I need. The KISS principle comes into play here. Figure out how to do it by hand and then simplify as much as possible.

Here is the original drawing I found that inspired all this: https://www.deviantart.com/mmark/art...-ISS-663616438