View Single Post

Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version

Finally started SZKUTNIK's USS Hornet.

The kit I purchased was on the initial release of the model and does not have the corrected decks. Both the hanger deck and flight deck are printed on glossy paper (thinner than desired as well). SZKUTNIK tells me this was corrected early on. In addition the model can use a set of self adhesive decks. I thought I remembered them but must have thrown them away early on and just don't remember doing it. I much prefer laminating the decks and don't trust self adhesive materials over the long term, expect the parts will eventually peal, much like old wall paper. In my case I had to cut up the hanger deck to fit my at home photocopier and made non-glossy decks printed to 80lb card. In the US we don't have access to A4 etc sized paper and in the US metric thickness is not used. Three sheets of the card works well. I used CA glue to laminate, absolutely no warping as seen in the images. Cutting is difficult and I consumed 5 #11 blades to cut out the deck.

The laser cut framing is the best I have ever seen. Perfect fit with no play and not to tight to cause twist or warping. I placed the waterline plates on a large piece of glass on the floor then dry fitted all of the frames. Then I placed a smaller piece of glass and 4 red bricks on the assembly. Using a paint brush I painted white glue into the corners and placed small pieces of wood into the corners all while under the weight of the bricks. The finish product is a very flat and square upper hull. After the glue dried I added the hanger deck plates.

Next up the lower hull. This will be plated before additional work. The design of the model requires portions of the hanger level assembly be installed before adding the upper hull plates.
Attached Thumbnails
USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1730.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1731.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1733.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1734.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1735.jpg  

USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1736.jpg   USS Hornet - SZKUTNIK's Version-img_1737.jpg