View Single Post

Old 05-16-2020, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Lovely pics Mike - and you are a lucky fellow!

Not much flying here at all - any plane is a rarity. No domestic flying allowed at all. Only a handful of international flights.
Should have done my yearly inspection last March, but with all of this Twilight Zone stuff happening, decided the money was better left in the bank.

Now with warm temps and blue sky, need to get back in the air. Could not have called at a better time.

Still can't get over how new the interior looks. On the next invite, will get real detailed photos for later reference, might try to use those long nacelles for a rubber band location.

Ray, yes it was extremely rare. Most people around here don't know what it is, can't see it from the road, since they moved it years ago.

I'll volunteer time to help with getting it back in the air. Want to see it fly! You can put money down that there will be some photos when it does.

My mechanic gets calls from all over the state, he is well known. Works on DC-3, C-46, C-123 and anything else with wings. Super Lucky he works on my Vans RV6! 1st year we spent two days taking it apart and putting it back together. He showed me a few things, okay, lots of things about it. Said it was very well put together.

It was built by an AP/IA (Airplane mechanic / inspector). When buying a homebuilt or amateur built airplane, you need to look at the workmanship real close. They are not all built the same, like production airplanes.

It is very hard to find mechanics that will work on them. Dale as a favor is my mechanic. I try to take good care of him! He was shopping in the welding gas store where I work years ago, before I owned an airplane. When I told him was buying my RV, he asked if I had a mechanic yet. Told me a story of a smaller Vans RV-3 that landed on the runway where this C-123 is parked. It ripped the whole rear tail wheel and bulkhead out the gravel is so rough. Terry who flies the C-46 Commando's, flew his yellow Vans RV-6A (has a nosewheel instead of tailwheel) into the strip, he got stuck and had to have help getting out. I decided wasn't going to land there ever in my small tired RV-6!!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 05-16-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Homebuilt airplane