View Single Post

Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
X-15A-2 Ablative Heat Shielded - the Mach 6.7 X-15

Heres what I know...
X-15A-2 is aircraft 66671 and is currently parked at the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio, in its original black finish.
Ken West's X-15 model is the same aircraft featuring the lengthened fuselage.
The X-15 rocket plane set numerous speed and altitude records back in the 1960s.
To achieve higher and faster flight, the aircraft was stripped and coated with a special ablative heat shielding material.
The pink coated rocket plane was then painted white (basically because the Test Pilots didn't want to fly in a pink airplane!)
This "white" version is the focus of this thread.
A-2/66671 made multiple flights to the edge of space and achieved a record speed of Mach 6.7(4520mph) and highest altitude of 67 miles (sub-orbital).

Just getting started on this repaint/remod of Ken West's 1/33 scale X-15A-2 model.

Struggling to understand some of the assembly...since I have never personally built the original model.
And understanding the assembly of parts is an important factor when trying to recolour the parts!

So, I may have to build as I go, to test everything and keep up with understanding the assembly.

I'm going to repaint the big fuel tanks too, since they were part of the record setting flights.
I haven't decided whether I will bother with the dummy ramjet nose cone that was mounted under the tail fin.
It didn't really have anything to do with the record setting flights, other than the fact it was there on one or two flights.
However, I will shorten the lower fin as it was.

Not sure how fast this project is going to go...I was planning on not doing any big projects this year.
Just wanted to focus on Koolwheelz models and not much else.
But I need a break from those...so maybe this is it.