View Single Post

Old 06-06-2020, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 167.82 MB
Needing simple space models

Hello all! I am a director of a small museum in the Midwest. We will be hosting a exhibit at the end of summer on the history of the US Space program.

While I have built a few paper models, mostly panes and ships, I have never done a space model, and haven't a clue as where to look.

In past exhibits the museum has given free, printed sheets with a model on it for children, and a surprising number of adults, to take home and build.

So, I am looking for recommendations for sites to contact, or downloadable models of rockets, capsules, satellites, landers, etc. from the space race era that can be used for this project. Any such model need to fit into the following parameters, if possible.

1. Simple skill level. The majority of visitors who take these models have no experience in paper modeling. The easier the better.

2. Scaled to fit on one page. In the past we have done single pages with the instructions printed on the reverse. Single pages reduce the cost of providing these to the visiting public.

3. Ability to print multiple copies. We only provide printed copies to patrons, we never share the digital file. In the past we have added a line in the margins that reads "For more wonderful models go to (designers website)" as a way to promote the designer.

4. Reasonable price. While I do have a small budget, as a non-profit I have to make each penny stretch. I want to avoid anything that infringes on someone's copyright, but I also don't need a $100 model with 1000 parts printed on 30 pages. The more reasonable the cost, the more of these I can give to the kids.

I realize that these parameters limit the quality of the model, but these are meant to be an introduction to paper modeling and act as an enrichment for the visitors.

And recommendations or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Chris Wiseman