View Single Post

Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbal View Post
A side note, on the color.
Models, illustrations and period-paintings show a rather wide range of hues for the 'naval buff' so-favored by late-19th and early 20th Century navies and vessels. I selected a more tan-shaded color sample online that looked best to me, and used it as the basis for my own 'artwork' while creating my parts.
When it came time for printing, however, my sturdy old HP printer balked...and coughed up a much pinker tone. Despite ongoing (and occasionally rather technically-inventive) 'discussions,' the printer refused to budge. In the end, I decided -- since it's theoretically a 'test-build' anyway -- what the heck...it was 'close enough.'
Then it turned out (no big surprise, really) that the machine is probably smarter than I am. The pinkish-tone 'buff' it settled on turns out to be essentially the exact hue of Testors' old 'square bottle' 1170 Light Tan model enamel...a rather misbegotten pinkish-tan color not much good for anything else...but making the always-necessary touch-ups and painting of odds and ends a much simpler affair than it otherwise might have been, with what is traditionally a rather-notoriously difficult-to-match color range.
Oh that's funny!
Never underestimate the potential for entertaining ironies within the hobby!

Oh, and,
All Hail The Mighty Quarterfloz!