View Single Post

Old 07-01-2020, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
A number of craft and hobby suppliers carry 'mini' punch sets; Waldron (now defunct) used to do several, and I believe UMM does as well, though I am sure there are others.
They're extraordinarily useful for all sorts of applications...including punching instrument panels, which is what I acquired my first Waldron set for, some years ago.
Be warned, however, that like any fine (and specialized) tools, they tend to be expensive; but they pretty much last forever, so it's good value.

For a lower-cost (and lower-tech) approach, clean holes can be punched with a small awl or even a round toothpick. (For the latter, it's best to start with a needle hole, then expand as required with the tapered pick.) Backing the part with a regular cutting mat or flat rubber eraser can help control penetration and the size of the hole, if required.

Once the holes are done to your satisfaction, a touch of super glue/CA will harden the punched-out 'flange' section on the opposite side. Once dry, the excess can be cleanly trimmed away with a single-edged razor blade or a sharp #11 blade.

Last edited by gregbal; 07-01-2020 at 09:39 AM.