View Single Post

Old 07-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
Thanks Don and JP for your words of encouragement!

After much puzzling as to the best way to proceed, I've started a cautious approach to hull skinning. Though I'm reasonably sure I'll be able to use single larger pieces for the more gentle compound curve areas of the hull -- in fact I've laid out and test-fitted a band that is about 3/4 of the length of the uppermost hull sides -- it seems clear that the stern architecture will be the 'make or break' test for build 1.0.

Starting with the lowest point on the stern, and meaning to work forward and upward, I'm starting with plain-paper templates for small plating sections, then transferring those lines to 65 lb white stock for the actual parts. I've also added some extra bracing here and there to stiffen the frame, and added 'bumpers' to the thin rib sections at the most dramatic curve-transition areas to try to minimize rib show-through.
Once laid out, the plating sections receive subtle (I hope) plating detail with black ink, then get 'rolled' against a foam pad along every axis with a dowel to impart some three-dimensional curve potential.

Adhesive is regular Tacky-Glue for working time, 'quick-tacked' where necessary with CA at critical points.

Here's the first stbd. section on, with the next section waiting to go. For the most troublesome curve areas I'm adding extra tabs at anchor-points to slip behind already-attached parts, to give some flex and leverage to help follow those trying shapes.

The ship's drawings I'm working with show a small projecting keel, which I intend to detail-out afterward, integral with the crescent-shaped rear frame supporting the rudder. It seemed the easiest way to handle things.
I've also printed and laminated the rear deck section after fiddling with templates to check fit against the camber and such. It seemed having that rear deck section in place would be helpful to build and shape the aft-most stern area against for the proper contours. We'll see.

Thanks again to all for your interest and support.