View Single Post

Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Thanks, Tony. I use PVA white glue which is water based instead of UHU for lamination. I prefer PVA glue to UHU because it's easier to spread evenly, with your mid finger, onto the back of the template. What I do is that I mark on the backing sheet (the lamination sheet) the position of the template before gluing. Use a roller to even out the glue and wait a little while, don't let it dry completely, and cut out the template leaving a reasonable margin. If it's a wing, score at least three lines along the fold on the backside of the laminated part and fold. Adjust if necessary and let it dry. If it's a round or circular fuselage part, do the same thing, to pre-form the said part. Treat the tabs in the same way to get a snug fit when joining the parts.

PVA glue won't cause the part to warp like normal paper as the photo has a very thin layer on the back (I don't know if it's ppe or what) that resists water to some extent. If you use PVA evenly, the backing (laminate) paper will stick tightly to the photo for most of the time. If it comes off when you cut out the template, apply some PVA as a touch-up remedy.

UHU glue, to me, is a bit difficult to control as it is harder to spread evenly. Moreover, it slips when folding the part as mentioned above so leaving a good margin is a wiser approach if you need to use UHU. If you wait out until it dries, folding the part will cause wrinkles on the back of the part. Sometimes it matters but sometime it doesn't, depending on how you like it.