View Single Post

Old 07-28-2020, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile Finished Buzzards!

Finally the two Martinsyde Buzzards are finalized, ending a construction plan started in my model club in the first semester of 2019 seeking to build four biplanes with extensive modifications and with unusual decorations (the other models in the series are the Mexican SVA-5 and the Spanish Nieuport Delage NiD-29). With the pandemic and the end of the face-to-face meetings, all these projects were completed at home, the SVA still in the summer of the southern hemisphere, and the NiD-29 if I am not mistaken in May.

As in the other projects in this series, the models were extensively improved with small details that sought to add volume to certain pieces, insertion of cockpits (parts donated from Der Kampfflieger's SE5a Comic) and other small details. The cables, as already mentioned, were obtained through broom bristles (of a specific type for sweeping parquet floors).

As the entire biplane model always requires greater attention from the modeler, even with the added fact that Bruno's Buzzard fuselage is not easy to build, some attempts were made until I was satisfied with the result.

Talking a little bit about the plane. Like the NiD-29, the Buzzard arrived too late to participate in World War I, being the fastest fighter plane manufactured in England. Using the same engine as the Bristol F2B if the conflict had lasted a few more months, it would certainly have equipped French military aviation and the USAAC. After the war it was not used by the RAF on the front line, which operated less than 50 units in secondary tasks. However, the Buzzard continued to be manufactured in the post-war period, equipping several air forces, especially the Soviet, which had more than 100 units. Many were used in the civilian market and the F6 version was two-seater. The subject of my two models are F4 versions operated by Irish Air Corps and "Aeronáutica Militar Portuguesa" in the early 1920s. Ireland and Portugal each operated 4 Buzzards in this decade.

The models in Bruno's catalog are # 1031 and # 1032 respectively.

Modifications and additions:

- Insert a semi scratchbuild cockpit using parts of SE5a cockpit from Der kampfflieger;

- Add 3D painels in engine;

- Add push rods and wing atuactors;

- Add full rigging

- Laminated wheels.

- Add 3d engine exausts

In the next post more pics of finished models.

Last edited by gomidefilho; 07-28-2020 at 09:21 PM.