View Single Post

Old 09-01-2020, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you for comments:-)

Hello,
Standing rigging is almost ready - almost, because I will add both the topmast and the jiboom later. After looking at all the rigging it turned out that the gaff sail and the jib can be hung earlier, which is of course generally easier. In addition, I will change the course of the topmast stay in relation to what is proposed by Mr. Feldman in his book and Model Shipways, because the jiboom was a movable spar and connecting the topmast with the movable jiboom was a very troublesome and rare solution. In addition, it is suggested here to use a traveller and stretch the stay with it. Such a stay did not stabilize the topmast but only kept the upper leech of the sail so that it would not bend in the wind. The advantage of course was the very fast service of the boom, but overall it was more expensive and more ropes were needed for service. Thus, the fopmast stay will connect the topmast to the bowsprit top and the flying jib will be hanged without the any stay. (I wrote so much about an item that is not in the pictures yet - well, in the next update I won't have to write about it anymore :-)
This freedom in the approach to the rigging comes from the fact that single-masted sloops were civilian units and, when entering service "in the army", were not subject to strict rigors and standardization. Besides, in the case of military units, compliance with the standards was not immediate and categorical either.

Blocks and deadeyes laser cut from the pressboard (industrial heavy pressed cardboard)- they are OK

I treated most of the ropes and threads with beeswax (unfortunately only most and some of them have small hair).

Overall, this stage was remarkably easy, and there was no strong shouting that contained words commonly considered offensive or vulgar .

Now I will hang two sails.

best regards
Tomek