View Single Post

Old 09-16-2020, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
If it's a choice between 'not having that detail' or 'having the detail deformed/bloated due to manufacturing/skill limits', the latter would be an acceptable 'artistic expression'. Detailing at the lower size limit of a model will often be deformed for this reason. For the Revell kit, the lamps and rails are likely at the lower limit of what injection moulding can achieve, and were never intended to represent the actual diameter of the poles and handrails. The other option would be to not have them - we can agree that the model will look even worse.

Now, if one starts using accessories or scratchbuild, that lower limit is reduced. PE fixes many things that injection moulding does wrong. But in the same vein, PE railings on 1/700 subjects are never as thin as they actually should be, for exactly the same reason. It's an artistic expression again. I like the way you use a variety of materials and techniques to push detailing far beyond any kit has to offer. I am always learning something new when I step into this thread.