View Single Post

Old 09-16-2020, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Many thanks, Damraska, for your lucid explanation of all the parts that I’m working on now. Frankly, they are all “widgets” to me. I am guessing you have either a personal acquaintance with one-to-one scale Shermans, or an excellent reference library! After a second search, I found part 65, and its location is clearly marked on the hull as you stated. I don’t know how I missed it; I plead temporary hatch-induced insanity. Now I need to decide whether to build up the periscope covers.

After the hatches, parts 62 - 72 look fairly straightforward to build and install, although if you hate petals, you will really loathe shaping the gas cap cover domes. I stopped after shaping one (of 4) because my hand was cramping. Tonight I glued up the exhaust fan armored cover (62) and the air intake (64), and I started cutting out armored gas caps.

After these “widgets,” there will be the very fun part of making all the tools attached to the outside, like the shovel, pickaxe, and great big wrenches. Those all appeal to me greatly. And then — the turret! I’m heeding Kevin’s caution, but I’ll deal with it when I get there. That’s quite a ways down the road.

Don, I certainly intend to bring the Sherman to future events. The advantages of having more time to work on models is eclipsed by the downer of having no events to bring them to this year. Carlisle Army Heritage Days is always a highlight in my year. We will all hope for better times to come.

Texman, I’ve seen and aspired to your level of work. It completely boggles my mind that you don’t tackle “those kinds of kits.” I thought you just didn’t like armor!