View Single Post

Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Not easily accomplished though not impossible...,

AluClad paper that was developed in my tutorial requires special treatment in order to print with an inkjet on the surface. It requires that the aluminum be anodized prior to it being bonded to the papers back surface.

Inkjet coatings remove the "look" or the reason for using aluminum in the first place. Ideally a white background would first be printed on the surface before adding color in those areas where large areas of color are required. I think it would be easier to use decals instead. As you might guess this runs the gamut of problems eliminating this being an easy task for the hobby modeler.

The anodization process produces microscopic holes in the aluminum surface allowing the inkjet liquid to penetrate into the surface.

I haven't had the time to prepare a tutorial on the process as time has been at premium for the last several years. The other part is that this is something that requires pool chemicals and a DC power supply. It would be easier to find a source for anodized aluminum foil and sell that by the roll but that's a new ball of wax attached to another rat hole...,

Best regards,

-Gil