View Single Post

Old 11-27-2020, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.99 MB
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale

I really appreciate the interest in this project.

I have made further progress. First, I finished detailing the hull exterior by adding a ‘rub rail’ around the deck edges of the fo’c’sle and poop, making up the hawse holes and their stoppers (I still have to add the lanyards that controlled these but that will happen much closer to the completion of the model), making and attaching the two forward gunport lids on each side, and fitting the rather prominent down pipes for the heads. The extreme bow gunport did not have a lid so it always was open to the elements.

I then added the stowed hammocks along the tops of the bulwarks, using Evergreen’s 1mm pitch metal siding material. I first used a small v-file to continue the corrugations over the edge and a little way onto the back of the material. Then I cut a 1mm wide strip, cleaned up any roughness, and painted it a medium tan colour. Once the paint was dry, I drybrushed the strip with a lighter tan colour, then glued appropriate lengths along the top of the bulwarks to represent the stowed hammocks.

After that I started making up and adding the deck furniture. Most of the larger features are now in place, including the scratch built pipes leading to the chain locker and the anchor chain cables themselves (from model railway chain). I also added all the coaling scuttles from punched card pieces.

Maurice
Attached Thumbnails
SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-20.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-21.jpg   SMS Prinz Adalbert, 1865 - 1:250 scale-prinz-22.jpg