View Single Post

Old 12-15-2020, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Progress! Wings now on and upper body and upper wing fairings added; lower wing fairings next, difficult as fillet shape wraps around wing leading edge.

Always forget how to roll wing leading edges without creasing, so several attempts necessary. Use damp cloth to pass over entire area of wing component underside, after marking out centre line of leading edge radius, also on underside; cloth should be squeezed out, not dripping wet and only enough passes made that the card is slightly damp.

Roll main radius i.e. top and bottom of wings from inside using a 13mm dia. plastic tube or dowel, must be rigid though and not bend under pressure - gently and then across tips to try and get some curvature at right angles to span. Do this on a fairly squashy surface, a sofa or chair seat pad.

Then damp again along leading edge line inside and use approx. 2mm dia. rigid rod to roll again on this line; where you get such a rod from is debatable, for some reason I had a piece of stainless steel rod in the garage lying around. Again, you need a rod which doesn’t bend along its length.

Glue frame to underside of wing, using a reference line previously marked - I found that I had to carefully calculate where the trailing edge of the frame should be to avoid the rib tips from showing on the visible surface. Use UHU for this as pva will cause buckling. Use pva to seal wing trailing edges and tips after rolling upper wing surface over frame, again using UHU for frame to wing panel attachment.

This note will remind me next time I build a wing!

All the best

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-ed71fea9-3493-40a1-aee8-2661a7afba25.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-4b941437-28fc-44e6-9e5a-0e2dda00b2a1.jpg   Fokker F36 scratch build 1/100 scale-0707cd9e-56d5-4954-a3a1-74ad244ab285.jpg