View Single Post

Old 12-17-2020, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Cool Consolidated P2Y2 Ranger in 1/100 scale. Scratchbuilding

Well friends I am now very excited by the scratchbuilding project that Draco demonstrated here with you marvelous Stranrer, reactivating a project that has already had three construction attempts but that always stops due to some technical difficulty of some kind. The results did not leave me satisfied and I decided to resume. I believe that now on the fourth attempt at construction I will have better luck.

I want to point out that when the project is finalized, I will make the main parts available in the download area, but I already warn you that they are not intended to be a mountable "kit", they require a great deal of improvisation and some details like the cowlings and engines are missing.

Unlike Draco, I didn't design the model from scratch, I took a shortcut using the UMC tool which is available for download here on the Forum.

For those who do not know this tool writen by a Plastic Bonsai is a converter of various 3D formats, it is possible to transform multiple meshes used in games like Flight Simulator and Wings over Europe in a useful format that can be edited and processed in Papermodels. With Flight Simulator, the work is more complicated because not all models that can be converted, in addition to many multiresolution are a lot of work to clean because there are literally three or four models within each other. But with the games of Thirware Productions is simpler, because in general the games of these company use three models ranging from simple to complex.

In the past I use an add-on pra the game Wings Over Europe, the Soviet Fighter Yakovlev Yak-25, the model was transformed directly to the MQO format by UMC. I simplified and edited in Metasequoia and subsequently deployed in Pepakura 3.

You see the thread here:

My experiments with UMC Tool in 1/100

About this introduction is time to talk about this subject:

1930's US Navy Consolidated P2Y2 Ranger flying boat, the "father" of Catalina. The model are based in a FS98 model, but is high modify to made a papermodel. From original meshe only wings and fuselage are used. I use the Inkscape again to made a vector drawn and coloring. The tail, engines, propellers, floats, struts, beach gear or trolley (I not decide) I designed or made a kitbashing for another models (is very funny made a search in another models for details or aspect are useful in subject) or make a full scratch.

I the pics the initial process of conversion and design. I not have qualification to use 3D software

In the next post the start of physical model...