View Single Post

Old 12-26-2020, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by db-sa View Post
Nice choice Anne and with an interesting suspension that I've never quite been able to figure out how it works.
I did a quick search and the L6/40 uses a torsion bar system. While I am not an expert on this vehicle, it appears the tank has two torsion bars per side, each supporting a very robust swing arm and bogie truck. The designer may have made the swing arms so robust to resist damage. On a more modern design, each swing arm would connect to a single, large diameter road wheel from behind. Of course, such a design would necessitate a longer vehicle. Therefore, it seems logical that the designer went with bogie trucks to reduce the length (and weight!) of the tank while also increasing points of contact with the ground. The design also pushes the torsion bars to the very front and very rear of the vehicle, allowing the crew compartment to sit right on the belly pan, thus reducing the height of the vehicle.

Of course, that is all conjecture on my part.

Anyway, it is an interesting vehicle and I look forward to seeing the finished product!