View Single Post

Old 12-26-2020, 03:10 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
03 – Hull Plates (Planking)

I gather inspiration from the many fine sail ship builders on this site. They make great hulls.
The planking always seems to be done well, and they have a very authentic wood appearance.
Despite the fact that this is not a sail ship, some of that inspiration has carried into this project.
This is a much different scale, and it mimics steel, not wood. However some of the same ideas can be pursued if one is will to do enough work.

I have experimented with hull plates on my previous two projects. So this is a good time to try creating steel hull plates on the underwater hull. Since I am not required to replicate the look of a real warship, I am free to try this method and see how it holds up to scrutiny during the ongoing hull construction.

The individual plates, printed on paper, measure 14 feet by 5 feet. Depending on the underlying compound curvature of the hull, in some places I had to install single plates. In many areas I was able to install groups of 4, 5, 6 or even 8 connected plates at a time. I used an “overlapping” method throughout, so most of the hull has a double layer of plates.

This may provide an adequate foundation for the hull work going forward . . . We will see.
Kind Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-016-grip-block-attached.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-017-port-side-lower-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-018-stern-lower-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-019-stern-lower-hull.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-020-lower-hull.jpg  

Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-021-hull-plate-installation.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-022-hull-plate-installation.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-023-hull-plate-installation.jpg   Ulfberht Project Scratch Concept Design 1:250 Scale-024-hull-plates-finished.jpg  

Last edited by Michael Mash; 12-26-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Spelling correction