View Single Post

Old 12-27-2020, 02:40 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
1/144 General Dynamics F-111D

Recently finished, is the F-111D from Scissors and Planes. I rescaled it down to 1/144 from its original 1/100.

This kit is not for the faint of heart. It is one of the more difficult aircraft in the SNP hanger.

Some modifications I did to the kit were, I cannibalized the wing sweep setup from one of Murph's F-111s,
as I thought it would be more stable. I added styrene rod to the horizontal stabilizers so I could pose them in
power on/power off positions. The F-111 horizontal stabs are large and aft heavy. After the removal of
hydraulic power, the trailing edge "droops". This is how I will display it most of the time.

I also used some 500 lb bombs I had in an old plastic kit. I added pins to the weapons pylons,
so that as the wings are swept back, I can align the bombs properly with the line of flight.
The fairing at the top of the vertical stabilizer was made from a q-tip, sanded, sealed then painted.

Other additions were the pitot tube and the fuel dump mast at the back of the aircraft.

This tail number is the actual tail number of the F-111 I was assigned to while stationed at
Cannon AFB NM. Thank you to Bruno for making that tail number an option!

Thanks for reading along.

1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-port-fwd.jpg1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-port-aft.jpg1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-stbd-aft.jpg1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-stbd-fwd.jpg

Here is a view with the wings in both positions.

1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-wing-sweep-compare.jpg

Go Fast mode

1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-go-fast.jpg

The traditional comparison

1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-compare.jpg

And finally...

Thanksgiving of 1989, I deployed over to Nellis AFB for live bombing training.
This was the inspiration for this build.

1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-nellis.jpg

And if you look closely, I have included a 1/144 scale me! Just for grins.

1/144 General Dynamics F-111D-mini-me.jpg

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!