View Single Post

Old 01-01-2021, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Found this, it is on a paper ship which is larger than 1/200.
Part VIII: Building V108 - Miscellaneous Bits - Card and Paper Models - Model Ship World™
Quote:
... unless you want to replace the printed railing (41c) with thread railing. I use quilting thread for making thread railings; it has a nice diameter and is far more fuzz-free than ordinary sewing thread. This particular railing will be more than the usual degree of difficulty, because the railing is actually part of a conic section. Use the printed railing as a template and cover it with wax paper. Stiffen the thread somewhat by running it through your fingers with a bit of PVA glue. While the thread still has some tack, you can stick it down onto the wax paper covered template. The wax paper will prevent the stick from being permanent. Start by laying down the curved railings and then glue on some short pieces of straight thread for the stanchions. Let this dry thoroughly before removing the railing from the wax paper. Paint the railing gray - spray gray primer works great. This PVA-glued railing will not be as stiff as the CA-stiffened railings we'll make later, so it can be formed into the necessary conic section shape before gluing it to the platform. I think it's a good idea to be consistent on how you mount your railings; I mount mine with the stanchions inboard. It's a minor detail, but one that might drive you to distraction if you later discover you have some stanchions inboard, but others outboard.