View Single Post

Old 01-11-2021, 11:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
Thank you for your kind comments. The tallest silo is now completed. I am guessing the silos were installed at various time because no two are alike. The tall silo has a skirt hiding the outlet hopper from view and the legs are different design. Like the short silo, I cannot see what is on top. An internet search revealed than cement silos usually have large vent (dust) filters. If there is vacuum conveying then the feed pipes connect to the vent filter. Otherwise, for pneumatic pressure conveying, the feed pipe connect directly to the top of the silo. In real life, these silos are used to store sand and are filled by gravity from the elevator. Google satellite photos of these silos, however, do not a show anything on the roof except for the pipe from the elevator, at least nothing tall enough to cast a shadow. Nevertheless, I will add a low profile pressure relief valve and inspection hatch. The hand railings and pipe from the elevator will be added later. For scale, i included a photo of the silos along side a covered hopper that I scratch built out of styrene except for the trucks, couplers and air brakes. I'm sorry but I promise to build my next rail car out of paper (except for the trucks and couplers).
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-4-tall-silo-parts-4389.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-5-hopper-hidden-behind-skirt-4391.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-6-tall-silo-without-railings-4393.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-silos-scratch-built-covered-hopper.jpg