View Single Post

Old 01-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Super Constellation tip tank

I was impressed with the method that YankeeKilo had used to make the Armstrong Whitley (see his thread on this forum), so I decided to try his method on what I consider a difficult subject, the tip tank of the Super Constellation 1049 Super G.
Pic 1 shows the real tank and you can see why the shape is so complex, it is a laminar flow shape, with the maximum diameter at around half the length and flowing lines to the nose.

I printed this photo and traced the outline as accurately as possible, resulting in pic 2.
Now, following YK's method, I pasted the silhouette on cardboard, and made a second print cut it in half and use that cross section as the holder for the formers to separate the segments of the tank model. I decided on 6 segments, see the redlines A to E on pic 3. These red lines also serve to measure the diameter of the bulkheads of the segments, which I drew on cardboard and cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
Super Constellation tip tank-0-tip-tank-shape.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-0-side-view-photo.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-1-shape.jpg