View Single Post

Old 01-25-2021, 12:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos

Got a bunch of photos to share. Had to chip ice, shovel snow and pre-heat airplane for flying today.

I'm still trying to break in a new cylinder on my airplane. Bad exhaust valve caused super low compression.

Sun still not very high over the horizon yet, but warmed up to over 36deg F, and the sun came out and chased the clouds away. Decided to get to the airport and fly.

We got hit with about 2-3 inches of rain snow mix on Saturday. Heavy and hard to move, but flying was the reward. Then I had to chip some Ice Chocks away from the front of my tires, you'll see how thick the clear ice is from freeze/ thaw this winter.

While flying at 6500ft altitude flew right through Ice Crystals. Never done that before, carb heat was applied and I dove for warmer air. Carb Ice has killed plenty of pilots. It was weird flying in it, all sparkly and moving past the plane at 180kts. Wish I had taken a photo or two, but warmer air meant engine would stay running.....When the fan up front is turning, it helps to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, pilots tend to get hot and sweaty.

Just cleaned now time to chip:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0770.jpg

ice chip time, you can see how clear the ice is-see the yellow painted centerline underneath the ice, oh the power cords are for my pre-heater source, a couple of hairdryers. Also used them to Melt snow and then dry the brakes. Gets kinda interesting with frozen brakes when you land. Better be ready for anything in winter, frozen brakes are not fun!
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0771.jpg

Right wheel:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0772.jpg

Tailwheel:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0774.jpg

Just in time, the sun is chasing the clouds away. You can see the top of MT Redoubt a volcano, last erupted 2009, before that was 1989. What a show of nature!
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0776.jpg

Mike