View Single Post

Old 01-25-2021, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
2nd Flight Continued 24Jan21 Traveling South

Ok, while flying South took some photos of the West Side of Cook Inlet, Mt Redoubt a volcano almost directly due west of Kenai, it is a volcano, it has erupted twice (series of eruptions each time) since 1989, no steam today:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0970.jpg

Sunset looking at Mt Augustine, volcano, that is the small peak about an inch from the sun. It is an island all by itself near Bruin Bay. Mt Iliamna is the bigger volcano in this view, last eruption 1876:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0987.jpg

Sunset with Iliamna and Mt Redoubt to the north:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0992.jpg

Decided to try and get a better photo of the moon. 300mm zoom lens shot looking straight up through my canopy:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_1018.jpg

Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_1019.jpg

This shot has a couple of things to mention. Once again Mt Redoubt to the North Mt Iliamna to the south, Cook Inlet between myself and the volcanos. See the bent shape road that is heading my way? That is the road to the Caribou Hills. A local favorite snowmachine riding area. If you could look straight down, you could see the cabin my daughter bought a couple of years ago. They were out riding in the hills leading to the Harding Icefield when I took this photo:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0019.jpg

Mt Augustine to the south, Mt Iliamna. Where the road leads to the coastline is a couple of fishing spots in the summer. Ninilchik, and Deep Creek Alaska. Memorial weekend will turn this area into the 3rd or 4th largest city in Alaska. Motor homes, pick up campers and tents: Fish for salmon on the river, or out in Cook Inlet for salmon and Halibut, plenty of charter boats:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0025.jpg

Turning towards home and Kenai. Realized I was spending too much time sight seeing/photography. On the right you can see the outlet of Tustumena Lake. Kenai is visible if you know where to look. My main concern was get on the ground before dark. Once the sun goes down it gets dark fast. I don't have a Landing or Taxi light on my airplane. It is light weight for doing aerobatics: Increased engine rpm to 2500rpm, 75% power and raced home at 175kts indicated or 202mph:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0047.jpg

More photos of Redoubt and the West Side:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0076.jpg

Mt Spur another volcano that spit some dust into the air in 1989 or 1990, can't remember for sure. I was working a t the local oil refinery at the time, was climbing a tower to get some reading when it went off. Saw the very beginning of the eruption, hung onto a ladder rung for the next hour just to watch, did call the control room so they could rotate the security camera to watch:
Like to fly and Take photos-24JAN2021 Photos-dsc_0090.jpg

One last post for this series coming up.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-25-2021 at 11:48 PM. Reason: messed up photo order, fixing