View Single Post

Old 02-19-2021, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Gary Pilsworth’s Envoy

Thank you Sergio for stopping by.

Continuing with the topic of the East Africa Campaign I Did Gary Pilsworth’s Envoy. I got curios about it and discovered that it has a typo. It should be 60 Squadron of the SAAF and not RAAF. I omitted the smaller pieces and simplified the engine cowling. I did enjoyed building this model. You may find the initial Gary’s post here:

Next will be....

The Airspeed AS-6J Envoy was an enlarged twin- engine version of the Airspeed Courier. Three joined directly the SAAF and four were delivered to the South African Airways. The plane represented by this model corresponds to the Envoy 252 (ex ZS-ALE). All these planes were convertible and could be transports, bombers or, as you will see most important, reconnaissance aircraft.

At the beginning of the hostilities the type formed the 1st Survey (Flight) of 60 Photographic Squadron of the SAAF were it served for the first months of the campaign. The type provided much needed military intelligence on these literally and not figuratively uncharted territory. The type helped produce maps on scales of 1:50 000 and 1:25 000 of selected areas by the 1st Field Survey Company.

The Envoys were later replaced by Ansons, also modeled by Gary Pilsworth. At the end of the war, the 60 Squadron accidentally made a sordid discovery while flying Mosquitos, Auschwitz!

I hope you like this tiny model, and very important:
Thank you Gary, looking forward for your next model!
Attached Thumbnails
Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3055.jpg   Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3056.jpg   Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3057.jpg   Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3058.jpg   Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3059.jpg  

Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3060.jpg   Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3062.jpg   Fighting the wrong enemy-pict3063.jpg  

Last edited by wireandpaper; 02-19-2021 at 11:07 PM.