View Single Post

Old 02-22-2021, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
1/4 right arm of Buzz

Dear all

So I have decided to move on from the torso's of the life size model, thinking that the triple layering by itself will be strong enough.

So the next stage is the arms so as usual it is the 1/4 model that is made first. In what seems a decade ago I had already made the arms for 1/4 Neil and so now proceeded to make the arms for 1/4 Buzz.

Left arm almost identical to Neil's left arm so straightforward. Buzz's right arm however was completely different (it is in the position of "saluting").

I just could not get my head round how it went together. So I had a very rough version using standard paper.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13442.jpg

Well suddenly the penny dropped. It is "obvious" really! So knowing what I was now doing it was onto the proper version of the arm.

Here are some stages of the arm being put together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13443.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13445.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13447.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13448.jpg

It is one of those sections of a model that has several parts that have to meet exactly at a point. You cant afford to have even one of them out by a bit. I don't know about you, but when I have a section like this, I find it very pleasing when everything joins up just right and the whole section slots together like a dream. Very satisfying.

Of course this is all down to the great design of the model.

It has (I think) some lovely touches of the partially hidden pocket (with part open flap) and oxygen tank wrist gauge partially under the upper arm.

So now onto the life size versions of the arms.

Regards

Kevin