View Single Post

Old 03-26-2021, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thanks for following this build. There are indeed people who build top quality ships straight from the kit without any modifications, I am actually visiting a friend who did exactly this next week. I hope to learn something from there.

About adhesive paper, yes it is a makeshift thing, I just don't like to glue over large areas. It is not the strongest, but it is not any easier to delaminate than the white card ('cotton card'?) I used for the inner hull itself. I guess it also depends on the exact kind of sticky label paper one uses.

Material-wise, even our competition organisers said they hated the C7 rules, but we still used that for the competition for the lack of a better alternative... I think the general shift in attitude reflected the evolution of society, in particular consumer technology. It used to be that building everything from paper is a thing, a demonstration that you can achieve something that not everyone else had. These days, one can simply walk into a 3D printing service and in a few hours they will have a ship model that's as good if not better than your paper version. The way I see it, the labour part of modelmaking means less and less, and modelmaking is becoming an act of personal expression. In this era it's the message that one want to convey with a build that will set a model apart from another, and this philosophy is making me question how I approach cardmodels. Maybe I, as well as a lot of other cardmodel enthusiasts, am still bound by hidden rules that have since been left behind by the frontiers of modelmaking.

The torpedo tube photos did not attach in the last post. Here's a second attempt
Attached Thumbnails
Japanese Heavy Cruiser Ibuki 1945 [1:400]-img_20210202_004453.jpg   Japanese Heavy Cruiser Ibuki 1945 [1:400]-img_20210206_014716.jpg