View Single Post

Old 04-06-2021, 09:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Engine cowling

Thank you Kevin and Fred, glad you find this interesting.

@Fred: The Tombow markers do not run but if the paper has not been varnished you have to be careful and just lightly touch the paper edges with the marker tips. It is better to check first on a piece of scrap paper. I'm not sure if it is like that but it seems to me that Halinski uses that kind of paper quality (or is it just its thickness?) that prevents or minimizes running.

Next is the engine cowling, which starts with an elaborate internal structure. I had given it a thought whether or not to install Alin's wonderful Merlin engine (in fact for a Spitfire Mk V but would that make much difference?) but eventually decided to not do it. Quite complicated and time consuming. Besides, for the sake of displaying this little marvel it might well be better to build and appreciate it separately.

Before placing the cowling I added a few scraps of cardboard to reinforce the edges of the exhaust bays and part of the sides. I was a bit apprehensive to glue the skins as it must be a "one time right" action but after numerous dry-fits I was convinced that the fit is perfect, even the relatively difficult shaping around the circular front former at the spinner location.

After drying of the glue I noticed that at the sides the skins appeared to be slightly sunken in and I drilled a few holes in the bottom formers to carefully push out and flatten the skin again with the tip of a small screw driver.

The bottom section of the cowling will be placed later, after installation of the wings.

I must say I'm thrilled with the superior accuracy of the model, it's really a joy to build this Spit!

Next will be the remaining details at the cowling.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5020.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5021.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5022.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5023.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5024.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5035.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5132.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5143.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5144.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5145.jpg  

Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5149.jpg   Halinski 1:33 Spitfire Mk 1a-img_e5150.jpg