View Single Post

Old 08-10-2021, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Are you building the beta version or the final version of the KLM model?

looking at photos of the actual plane it appears to have a white upper coloring and the lower portions are shiny bare metal

Is there a way to improve the metallic look on the bottom? Currently it looks grey color.

I don't want this comment to go where it is not intended. I merely offer some improvement suggestion.
Isaac,

Thanks for your response. Don't worry - all remarks, comment and queries are welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean by beta version. From a designer's point of view, the model is ready. Designer Cor has made his own build, during the design, to at least check the fit, proper alignment of the skin print details and to prepare building instructions.
I got a set of the parts sheets and the building instructions with the request to build accordingly and to give independent feedback. A number of small corrections have already been incorporated already, of which you won't see much in the building thread but certainly in the end product. It's a journey with side roads and trial and error but that's the charm of it. In the end all of this will result in a fantastic model. Along the way I pick up a lot of knowledge of the real thing, which is a nice bonus.

KLM operated C54's converted to passenger planes and "real" DC4s. The difference between them is hardly noticeable but the ones with large cargo doors are C54s whereas the DC4 only had a passenger door. As explained by scon10, the paint schemes differed quite a bit. Apparently, KLM was not that concise in those days. It seems like that no machine in that period looked the same.

In any case, the PH-TAR pictured in the model is correct as you can see from attached pictures. The C54 you showed is the PH-TCE, Edam (yes, the cheese town....), with a white top. Gradually KLM changed the livery with the predominantly metal look in the later forties to versions with white tops. Only somewhere in the late seventies/early eighties the white was replaced by blue.

Regarding a more metal look - overall no weathering or other visual effects are included to bring out the fine skin details. As far as I know, Cor hasn't designed his models with this up so far. Perhaps a next time...

Erik