View Single Post

Old 08-10-2021, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale

When this model was first published a few years ago, I went and purchased it along with the laser cut frames, canopy and wheels. However, I never got around to building it.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3681.jpg

The model is designed well and the finished model looked good on line and other builds.
North American F-86E-5 Sabre Hobby Model

There were numerous computer generated views which are helpful.

I finally decided to build it 6 months ago. So I studied the design which relies on numerous internal frames.

however my first disaster occurred. I could not properly wrap the forward fuselage skins around the frames and got a stupid looking nose. I then stripped it off and in the process I poked my finger lightly with the knife and had small blood spots on the good sections.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3735.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3737.jpg

I then left it aside for a week and finally decided to print a scanned sections and attach it. Unfortunately, the coloring was so awful and wrong that it looked as though an amateur grafted a new nose.

I tried to reprint again ( I am not good at repainting ), but the same results. So I decided to just continue the build as my trash build just for the sake of keeping busy. I then discovered that my camera used for these builds went bonkers and was over exposed, so all the initial build pics are marginal ( I then reset the camera back to factory setting and all is well now ).

then the second disaster occurred. The wing developed a bad case of the wrinkles even though I used the UHU glue. At this point I was ready to toss the entire model in the trash and almost was.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3760.jpg

So I set it off in its own tray and placed it in the closet never to be seen again.

I finally decided to fix it last week and converted this "swan" into a "duckling" ( not the other way ).

So I will report on the trials and tribulations of this build.

Isaac