View Single Post

Old 08-27-2021, 01:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator View Post
(...)
I scaled down the numerous printable nets of vehicles and simplified some (and add another) details before printing (for example, mostly removing gluing tabs, except the longest ones, because such tiny edges doesn't require any; nonetheless I must add at least one stiffening bar glued inside each model and the additional layer of paper to the sides in order to make wheels more rigid. (...)
Maybe let's take a look into the "interior" of these models.

First, the stiffeners in the tiny cars. In the smallest models I made separate stiffening overlays for each wheel to make gluing easier.

Next, the buildings. I often neglected making full base, thus not closing the model from the under. If the model is printed on the thick sheet or in case of the paper was stiffened by sticking it with a cardboard I simply did nothing more. In case of small houses, printed on the standard 80 grams per sqm sheet, I made gluing tabs on the lowest edges, carefully bended inwards to secure the correct ground levelling and glued to the walls from inside.

The big buildings, even if made of 200 g per sqm sheets, require some more stiffening for the outer walls to avoid them being distorted while holding them by hand during the long and complicated installation works on the rooftop. So I often use a strip or two of a cardboard, rolled to the cylindrical shape and inserted inside the building. They mustn't be formed with gluing into the closed cyllinder and they mustn't be glued at all! If they are loosely convoluted into the springy helix and compressed (red arrows) before being put inside the building, they will better fill the free space from one side wall to the other while relieved and decompressed (orange arrows). Of course it is better to use some glue on the curved edges to secure the position of the stiffener.
Attached Thumbnails
Small Japanese shops (1/300)-img_20210827_053818.jpg   Small Japanese shops (1/300)-img_20210827_053923.jpg   Small Japanese shops (1/300)-img_20210827_053807.jpg   Small Japanese shops (1/300)-img_20210827_053746.jpg   Small Japanese shops (1/300)-img_20210827_054319.jpg  

Small Japanese shops (1/300)-img_20210827_054141.jpg   Small Japanese shops (1/300)-stiffener-2.jpg