View Single Post

Old 09-10-2021, 03:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 93.28 MB
Crayfish & red bee shrimp and maybe more

The lifesize model of the crayfish was one of my first attempts to make a 3D model from the 2D print with no glue. It cannot be called origami however, because of the use of scissors.

I found the final result to be rather appealing though of multiple imperfections, but maybe describing of my errors will be of use for the beginners, so I will focus on the minuses.

To be honest, I looked and thought of the directions of folding and bending for some hour or so before I begun to cut. I found few errors in the net (for example, valley folds and mountain folds of part of the thorax, shown in the manual, are reversed, while others are okay), and I found the method of connecting antennae and eyes to the head foil tricky, which resulted in necessity to cut of part of the net and glue it to the more convenient location.

I used relatively thick paper (some 300 g per sqm) and I slightly overdone, something around 200 g would have matched better. For example, the folding of the tabs and then rounding them in the perpendicular direction resulted with the damages of the surface (cracks in the surface). And these damages were highly visible (my second fault: I used the paper colored on both sides instead of dyed in the mass, so all the cut edges must be colored by hand after cutting and all the random cracks and scratches were noticeable). Making legs, which should be bended (shaped into the mountain fold) along all their length was tricky too and after this operation all the longitudinal edges of the legs became slightly unwantedly bent/waving.

Well, building the model of the particular object is the same as building a house: You're building your first house for your enemy, your second one for your friend and your third one for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Crayfish & red bee shrimp-img_20200613_151240.jpg   Crayfish & red bee shrimp-img_20200613_151319.jpg   Crayfish & red bee shrimp-img_20210219_233226_2.jpg   Crayfish & red bee shrimp-img_20200617_002034.jpg   Crayfish & red bee shrimp-plsiecan01_5250_i_pietro_2024_001.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf dl_Crayfish_1.pdf (213.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Viator; 09-10-2021 at 03:41 AM.