View Single Post

Old 09-16-2021, 04:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Empennage Part 5

Interesting discussion guys, thanks for your contributions and continued interest! Isaac, I put a weight of almost 60 grams in the nose and everytime when I hold the central fuselage-nose section in my hands, I'm afraid to drop it as it will certainly land nose down with major damage... I'm confident it will be enough, otherwise there's still the balance rod to use at the tail section.

Vertical stabilizer is ready now, which took a bit of trimming at the bottom to place exactly vertical on the empennage. Used my simple visual reference points again and it looks okay. Also installed the beacon light on top.

The vertical stabilizer consists of two halves and for a nicer look after gluing both sides together I used a kind of water soluble putty (in fact bison "montage kit") to close gaps and the central gluing seam. Then I painted the entire anti-icing boot with Tamiya rubber black. As you may notice, I applied small corrections with thin straps of paper to disguise larger gaps between stabilizer and empennage.

The design of this part of the model is downright ingenious towards accurate representation of the various complex concave and convex shapes, and consequently demands accurate work by the builder.

Finally the eye-catching red-white-blue rudder in place and a few segments of the aft fuselage. Again I laminated the inside of the fuselage sections with an additional layer of 200 grams paper. Due to the large size of the model, this extra work is really recommended.
Through the holes in the formers a longitudinal paper tube will run from cockpit to tail to reinforce the overall fuselage. More about this to follow.

Next will be joining this part of the model with the main fuselage section, and to close the door .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7586.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7587.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7588.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7589.jpg   KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7591.jpg  

KLM DC-4/C-54 (Papertrade 1:50)-img_e7592.jpg