View Single Post

Old 10-13-2021, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
[QUOTE=papermodelfan;750808]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
I stumbled across this example of "tatebanko art".
立版古 | ToMuCo - Tokyo Museum Collection
This one looks like a single sheet view of a harbor, with three Japanese warships in the background (?~1905). The main action depicted is a rowing competition among 4 longboats, each with 8 crew pulling 8 oars and a coxswain at the stern. The central structure on shore is a viewing platform. Because the longboats are printed on both sides, to be folded, I think they can be moved and pointed either way, to re-enact a race with a full lap up and back. I suspect the colored squares make flags, which can be hung on a thread to create the finish line. A lively tatebanko, cramming a lot into one sheet!
Thanks for the explanation, when I saw the image, I could not wrap my head around how the parts could be cut out and built. I have my suspicions about whether or not this single image represents a complete model, since it does not have the customary inset image showing the built up model.
This tatebanko could be made into a race game, by moving the longboats an agreed upon distance based on a coin flip, dice roll, or paper-rock-scissors outcome.