View Single Post

Old 10-13-2021, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Dear friends,

in weeks of painful grief I want to try to slowly come to my senses and bring myself to continue working on my project ...

For this purpose I took the last printed Gearbox-Pair (XSFDP) from Shapeways and examined it once again more closely, because in retrospect I noticed some things that are not entirely plausible to me and do not really want to please.

In order to minimize the wax residues remaining despite Shapeways' cleaning after printing, we had let print this pair in the best possible print orientation (standing upright), which we had been previously recognized,

Source: ARC Forums (crackerjazz)

which has the following support wax arrangement.

At first glance, the Combos (XSFDP) look clean on the outside, only there are wax residues in the inner cavities of the gear case and on the underside of the motor, which, however, are not so important for the later priming/painting, because one can hardly see these areas in the installed state anyway.

However, clearly visible longitudinal grooves on the surfaces are noticeable, which I cannot explain to myself due to the selected print orientation, which is why I asked Shapeways for a statement.
These grooves are clearly felt and have after all a distance/width of approx. 0,4 mm.

These two SW Combos I have now tried to clean so that they can then be primed and compared with the Resin combos, which I'll use for the crawler.

This time the cleaning was not done in the dental laboratory but by using my small Ultrasonic cleaning device,

based on the conditions proposed by BANDELIN at that time by using TICKOPUR R 60.

Source: bandelin.com

Since my US bath has no heating, I filled the trough with 50°C hot water and added 20% TICKOPUR.

But since the Combos swam up and didn't want to sink,

I've held them down with tweezers and cleaned them approx. 2 h by turning over several times at intervals of 10 minutes.

Then they were rinsed in water, dipped briefly in 2-Propanol and dried under the hair dryer.

As one can see, the cleaning time of 2 h is not enough to completely remove the wax residues out of the inner cavities, but which is no longer important to me.

Both on the underside of the engine, as can be seen here,

as well as inside the case there are still considerable wax residues.

So I want to leave it at that for now and will now prime both combos in this state and also my scratched prototype in order to be able to compare them with the primed Resin combos.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)